Here is my finished Summer Blouse from Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross. I have a few works in process from the book, so it feels good to finally finish one! After reading everyone’s blog posts and viewing finished blouses on the flickr group, I knew that I would need to make some adjustments to the pattern and didn’t want to use the “good” fabric on the first try. I used what I had on-hand with enough yardage, which happened to be a heavyweight cotton curtain panel from the IKEA as-is section. (I guess this is where it might be helpful to have a thrifted sheet or two or some muslin onhand.) The facings were made from a paisley home-dec remnant. Unconventional fabric choices, right? Somehow, though, they worked out!
I made a few alterations to the pattern. The neckline was lowered about 1.5″ and hits just at the collarbone. I brought in the sides quite a bit and added an inch or two to the length, but unfortunately, I cannot remember how much. The book calls for a button and loop closure, but with my lowered collar that feature would not make sense.
I liked applying the facing along the neckline so much, that I went crazy and used facings to finish the cuffs and hemline. It is a nice method for hemming, especially with a heavier fabric like this. I was not looking forward to turning up the hem a couple of times and then trying to stitch through all the layers! Disclaimer: the flipped-up hem in the picture is soley for demonstration purposes! I don’t plan to walk around with it flipped. I think I could pull off the flipped cuffs, though!
Today I ordered some great cotton lawn to make another version of this blouse, probably with 3/4 length sleeves and a v-neckline. It will be interesting to see a more relaxed shape using the lawn, since this finished version is so structured with the heavyweight cotton.