The black contrast fabric is part of a larger bird print. I decided to keep the outside clean with solid black pieces. For the inside of the top portion, though, I cut from the printed areas. I like that it is unexpected and fun.
The pattern was easy to follow. I completed the steps out of order and constructed the lining bag first. I am so glad I did, because it allowed me some “warm-up” time to practice sewing the curved seams and connecting the bottom and top pieces just right. Again, with this project, I learned some helpful tips. This pattern uses an easy folding method for squaring up the fabric…much easier than cutting. And I finally learned how to make good straps!